Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hand and Face




     
    
For this assignment, we were supposed to come up with a portrait of a person with facial expressions and a hand expression. The expressions of the head or hands should make sense to one another and can be handed in separately or in the one same drawing. So what I have here is my friend Vincent, and one of a drawing of a hand expression that best fit the expression on his face.
      For this assignment, I wanted to have some fun with it and decided to have the hand and face together. Somewhere along the way, I have this idea magic coming into play. I have him with a smirk expression where he is emitting or generating a fireball at the palm of his hand. During the process, I didn't think of how to make a fire effect without finding it on Google and pasting it to my work. I ended up looking up on some tutorials on creating some fire effects and there were some good ones and some lame ones. In the end, I came up with this tutorial where you play around with the "difference cloud effect" on the filter window and the color of the gradient map, and with the eraser tool to shape the fire that I desired. If I had more time, I would explore more tutorial and see if I can find a better fire effect that would look good.
     I liked the overall rendering of the painting like the hair which I think went well. But the one thing I would improve on is to dim down the lighting and add more orange and yellow because there is a bit too much bright spots on the skin as highlight whereas the fire is in warm orange and yellow colors. Another minor fixes to the painting is enlarge the hands a bit since it is at the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment